Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Mirrored Lantern

A Mirrored Lantern


It was twenty minutes into the power failure before Arthur finally decided to light a flame. It took that long for him to decide that it was a semi-permanent situation, find the faux pewter lantern and fill the base with oil. He set the lamp on an end table and stared into the light. His girlfriend, Allison, stared too.

“It’s pretty,” she said.

Arthur didn’t answer.

The glow was generally kind to him, giving a warm color to his skin that light bulbs and sunshine failed to do. But it was unkind as well, making the slight wrinkles around his eyes look deeper and old. Allison was twenty years younger and didn’t need the help, but her tan now took on an even more golden glow.

“I wish I had more than one lantern,” Arthur said. “We had a pair of them, but I don’t know where the other one is.” The “we” was Arthur and his ex-wife. Allison noted the “we” but didn’t care much and said nothing.

“I wonder,” said Arthur, “if I put a mirror behind it, if that would double the amount of light? It would have to, wouldn’t it? I mean, it would be like two flames.”

“I don’t know,” said Allison. She was wondering if the power was out at her apartment and how long the ice cream would stay frozen. She snuggled closer to Arthur and rested her hand on his thigh.

“Or if I had two mirrors, would it be like having three lights.”

“Oh, A. J.,” she said, “I don’t know. It couldn’t be, really. Then why would people ever have more than one lamp or candle or anything in a room? Don’t you suppose that even before people had electric lights, some one would have thought of that?” She brought her hand up higher on his leg.

“I think we have an old mirror in the garage,” he said. Arthur was forty-five, loved sex, and especially loved it now with Allison. But now was not the time. Later in the evening would be the time; after the power came back on, he could turn out the lights and they could go upstairs.

He stood up, took his weak little flashlight in his hand and opened the door in the family room that accessed the garage. He was back five minutes later. “Well, I thought we had one.”

“I think,” said Allison, “that all a mirror would do would be to catch the light that’s going the other way and bounce it back this way.”

“Still, wouldn’t that double the brightness?”

“Maybe,” she said. “Maybe it just returns the light that’s wasted on the wall. But still, there’s only so much light in one flame.”

Arthur sat back down. Allison sat straight, her hands folded in her lap, wondering if her cat was afraid of the dark. Probably not.

7 Comments:

At Friday, June 1, 2007 at 9:39:00 AM EDT, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Great flash fiction, Jon! I love the tensions of the couple in this and the way the mirror functions as a metaphor for the old marriage. Also the pronoun stuff is great -- woman always note the "we", yes?

 
At Friday, June 1, 2007 at 10:23:00 AM EDT, Blogger Jon said...

Michelle...yes, the new woman sniffs out every remanent of the past woman: a single ear ring in the sofa cushion, her scent in an old afghan, a yellowed recipe card found under the siverware organizer, the quarter ounce of love left in the corner of his heart. Of course the more obvious metaphor is the flame...there's only so much light from a single flame.
Thanks so much for coming by.

 
At Friday, June 1, 2007 at 12:08:00 PM EDT, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Jon...were'nt you supposed to send me an email first? Ah metaphor..what one person sees is another person's blindness.

You know if you wanted to expand this piece, you could open it up by introducing a more accessible conflict. Or let the interpersonal conflict be understatement and broaden the metaphor through further action.

 
At Friday, June 1, 2007 at 2:56:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jon said...

Stewart--Didn't you say last night, "Post that one." And I said, "Yeah, I will."

As for expanding the piece, I think this is as far as I'm going with it. Just an exercise. Hey, how many metaphors can you fit into five hundered words?

 
At Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 4:20:00 AM EDT, Blogger Susan Miller said...

"there’s only so much light in one flame"

I especially liked this line.

Neither of the two being truly vested in anything between them. The cat not minding the dark and neither of them seeming to mind the void between them. Without passion there does seem to be darkness but one in which a human can be strangely satisfied.

Someone once said - I'm so clever I don't even know what I'm talking about sometimes.

I like this piece and I like that quote. As always, Jon, your writing is a treat.

 
At Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 2:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger miller580 said...

one thing that hasn't been said here that I want to mention is the fact that the woman is detached. Her thoughts are everywhere else rather than with him. I really like this touch. It was subtle yet set the tone.

I also thought that it was nice touch that sex would come later, when he could turn off the lights and go upstairs. His ritual was necessary. To me, it hints toward a desire for his old marriage...or at least the ritual of marriage.

Or maybe I am reading too much into it. Sometimes a fish is just a fish.

Nice work Jon!

 
At Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 7:21:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jon said...

Thank you, Sue. That line is kind of the theme of the story. I always look forward to your comments.

No, Jim, you're right on. They are both detached and each is getting what they want for the moment. Yes, he refers to his ex all through the piece. She's a part of him but he dosn't necessarily miss her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home