Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The following is from the November 1993 issue of Harper's magazine andis therefore probably illegal to copy. So here it is anyway.

[Interview]
ON NOT WRITING

From an interview with Fran Lebowitz in the Sum­mer issue of The Paris Review. Lebowitz is the au­thor of two collections of essays, Metropolitan Life and Social Studies. Since the latter book was pub­lished in 1981 , Lebowitz has been at work on a nov­el, to be titled Exterior Signs of Wealth; she recently completed the first chapter. The interview was con­
ducted by James Linville, the managing editor of The Paris Review, and by George Plimpton, the journal's editor.

INTERVIEWER: Did you ever enjoy writing? FRAN LEBOWITZ: I used to love to write. As a
child I used to write all the time. I loved to write up until the second I got my first professional writ­ing job. It turns out it's not that I hate to write. I hate, simply, to work. I just hate to work, peri­od. I am profoundly slothful. Practically inert. I have' no energy. I never have. I just have no de­sire to be productive. Now that I realize I don't hate to write, that I just hate to work, it makes
writing easier. .
INTERVIEWER: When did you realize this? LEBOWITZ: Recently. In the past six months
I've had an easier time writing. I broke this ten­year writer's block.
INTERVIEWER: What did you do during those years?
LEBOWITZ: I sulked. Sulking is a big effort. So is not writing. I only realized that when I did start writing. When I started getting real work done, I realized how much easier it is to write than not to write. Not writing is probably the most exhausting profession I've ever encoun­tered. It takes it out of you. It's very psychically wearing not to write-I mean if you're supposed to be writing.
INTERVIEWER: Is that because the ideas come steaming along and you feel like you should put them down and you don't?
LEBOWITZ: Not writing is more of a psycho­logical problem than a writing problem. All the

HARPER'S MAGAZINE / NOVEMBER 1993
time I'm not writing I feel like a criminal. Ac­tually, I suppose that's probably an outmoded phrase, because I don't think criminals feel like criminals anymore. I feel like criminals used to feel when they felt guilty about being criminals, when they regretted their crimes. It's horrible to feel felonious every second of the day. Espe­cially when it goes on for years. It's much more relaxing actually to work. .
Still, I don't get nearly the amount of work done that I read other people do. This is what most interests me in interviews with writers.
I'm not interested in the thoughts or ideas of these people, I only want to know how many pages a day they wrote. If I could meet Shake­speare, I would ask, "What time do you get up? Do you write at night?" I don't know many writ­ers. I don't have many friends who are writers. But as soon as I meet any, as soon as I can fig­ure out that it's not too intimate a question to ask them, which is about six seconds after I meet them, I say, "How many words do you write a day?"
INTERVIEWER: Why do you want to know that? LEBOWITZ: SO I can compare myself to them.
INTERVIEWER: Hemingway used to write down
the number every day and post it on a piece of cardboard on top of his bureau.
LEBOWITZ: I count my words, too. I was once at Sotheby's looking at some furniture. Just look­ing. This guy whom I knew came over and asked if I'd like to look at a Twain manuscript that was going to be for sale. I constantly have to dis­abuse people of the notion that I can afford things like Twain manuscripts. I said I'd love to look at it but I can't afford it. He showed it to me. A short story. He was telling me about the manuscript and where they found it and every­thing.
He said, "I'm pretty knowledgeable about Twain, but there's one thing we don't under­stand. We've called in a Twain scholar."
I said, "What is that?"
He said, "See these little numbers? There are
these little numbers every so often. We just don't know what those are."
I said, "I do. I happen not.to be a Twain schol­ar, but I happen to be a scholar of little numbers written all over the place. He was counting the words."
The Sotheby's man said, "What are you talk­
ing about? That's ridiculous!"
I said, "I bet you anything. Count."
He counted the words and saw that I was right.
He said, "Twain must've been paid by the word."
I said, "It may have nothing to do with being paid by the word." Twain might have told him­self he had to write this many words a day, and he would wonder, Am I there yet? Like a little kid in the back of a car: Are we there yet?

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 7:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger Susan Miller said...

Thank you for posting this.

 
At Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 9:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Some people should write and don't...some people write, and shouldn't. Even some published people. Denny Crane.

 
At Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 11:18:00 PM EDT, Blogger RK Sterling said...

That was great, Jon. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 9:59:00 AM EDT, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

I love this piece. Sulking does take a lot of effort -- I should know! Anyway, Gore Vidal said try not to write for a year and see how it goes. If you can't stand it, you're a writer. I've always been too afraid to try his advice but I believe it.

 
At Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 2:38:00 PM EDT, Blogger Sphinx Ink said...

I saw your comment on Stewart's blog mentioning this article and came to see this entry, which is great. I love Fran Lebowitz. What a wit she has...and is such a good writer. Thanks, Jon.

 
At Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 10:08:00 AM EDT, Blogger William Jones said...

A great article! Once Mark Twain was asked if he enjoyed writing, and he replied, "I enjoy to have written." Writing is tough -- there are too many things by which we are willingly distracted, and use as an excuse not to write. It's good to be "knocked" back in line now and then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home