Saturday, January 20, 2007

Lessons Learned?

Hey, that will teach me...maybe. Post a death poem and get a collapsed lung. Sorry...couldn't even crawl to the computer to post after that one! Back from a week at Ford Hospital, ready to start radation Monday. Need to start shoveling some good karma out there. Here's something a little cheerier than last time. Yeah more poetry.

HOW TO BREW THE REALLY PERFECT CUP OF COFFEE

Pick a rich October morning and be the only waking soul about.

Wake to no alarm but the wind swishing drying maple leaves across a dying lawn.

Walk softly, slipper footed, to the kitchen and fill the glass kettle with water to just below "Made in USA."

Fire the burner; a full and rolling boil will take time.

The morning paper is jammed between the front door and the screen.

Carry it to the kitchen table scanning the front page for names you know.

Check the water.

Find the filters.

There is, in amongst the silverware, a plastic spoon,
the last remaining member of an ancient picnic set.

It gives the perfect measure.

Scoop the same number of scoops you always scoop and study each for fullness.

Always add half a scoop knowing you miscounted.

The water boils.

Pour the water full and steady over sweetly musky grounds
watch for overflow.

Settle on a kitchen stool, see the transformation;
the near black mud reduced to a slim stream of oaken brown.

The brew collects.
Just before the dripping stops, disconnect the funnel top and pour a cup.

Sit looking out a window,
seeing patterns in the blowing leaves and the sky,
seeking omens for this day.

Refill your cup and fill a different cup; carry them both upstairs
and kiss your wife awake.

8 Comments:

At Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 6:49:00 PM EST, Blogger Susan Miller said...

This is beautiful, my friend. Thank you, I was needing a poem about life rather than death...and then maybe you were, also. You were missed which makes your words all that much greater.

I am concentrating all my wishes now to your good health.

 
At Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 7:54:00 PM EST, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Reallyy lovely poem, Jon. Like Susan, I'm sending all good wishes and happy thoughts your way. Hang in there!

 
At Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 10:17:00 PM EST, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Hope you're feeling better and have a speedy recovery.

 
At Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 10:26:00 AM EST, Blogger RK Sterling said...

Beautiful writing.

Sending healing thoughts your way.

 
At Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 1:00:00 PM EST, Blogger miller580 said...

Nice writing Jon. The one thing I really miss about MI is the fall. Lines like "wind swishing drying maple leaves across a dying lawn." really call out to me. However, when I look at my weather update and read that Detroit's high today will be 28 while Clearwater's is 82--I quickly forget that longing.

I've sent all the good karma I've been banking your way. I know it's not much, but hopefully it will help.

 
At Monday, January 22, 2007 at 11:37:00 PM EST, Blogger Pythia3 said...

Jon, thank you . . . I love coffee and I love it even more after reading your poetic tribute. The little things can be beads of sweat on the temples or, when appreciated, can be as comforting as putting on a t-shirt, hot out of the dryer, on a January morning.
You are amazing, and I'll stop there for now . . .
You are in my prayers, friend.
xoxoxo Lindy

 
At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 12:40:00 AM EST, Blogger LoveRundle said...

Wow that's scary. I had a collapsed lung when I was young, so I'm glad I don't remember it now. Living with asthma has made me a little bit on the paranoid side when I have even a cough.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Your poem is so warm. Love it.

 
At Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 9:13:00 AM EST, Blogger Pythia3 said...

Good Morning :) Miss you, Jon. xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home