Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Parking Lot

This story was originally around two thousand words, so this has been more an exercise in editing. I never did get it down to a thousand, but here is is anyway.






Parking Lot
So we’re sitting in this parking lot drinking beer, and the game is that we see somebody coming out of the mall and we have to guess which vehicle they’re going to get in.
We see this guy walking and Marty says, “The red Mustang.” The guy’s bad looking, maybe forty, decent clothes, not like thrift store, too short for his gut, bleach-faded crap clothes. Regular clothes. Last years Sears. He heads for the line of four cars. “The black Volvo,” I say. “Not the red Mustang type.”

But he keeps on walking, past the cars and through the parking lot to the little Plexiglas and steel cubicle with the SMART bus logo printed on it. He leans against the corner of the building and lights a cigarette.

“I’ll be damned,” says Marty. “We both ought to lose points on that one. He’s waiting for the five-sixty. Who would have thought?”

Not me. And sure as hell not the five-sixty. The five-sixty bus runs a long route between New Baltimore and downtown Detroit and the SMART stop we were looking at was on the Detroit bound side.

“Damn,” I say, “if we were that wrong about the car, I wonder what else this guy’s up to? What do you think? He lost his license or something and he works at the mall and he’s just going home now?”

“How much gas we got?” I ask and Marty checks the gauge and says, “More than a quarter tank. Why?”

And I say, “Beer?”

“These ones and another six pack in the cooler. Why?”

“I’ll bet you that this guy is going somewhere that’s not home and it’s not work. You win if he winds up at a house or a business. I win if it’s anything else.”

“You want to follow him?”

“You want to bet?”

“Yeah, I guess. What are we betting?”

“The next six pack?” I offer.

“Sure, what the hell,” says Marty.

Marty starts the car just as the five-sixty heaves into sight and we idle over to the parking lot exit, timing it just so we are ready to pull out as soon as the bus picks the guy up. We follow close enough so as not to lose the bus, but far enough back to miss most of the fumes that blow black from a pipe near the bus roof. It still stinks.

We’re getting farther south, and now we’re past Mount Clements and past Roseville and we pass Eight Mile Road and go another mile or so. Then the guy gets out of the bus and starts walking. We pull over to the curb and watch and I make real sure that the doors are locked.

The guy keeps walking. He’s the only white guy in sight except for us. But he’s not looking around or acting fidgety or anything. As he gets farther ahead we pull out and drive a bit and then park again. He crosses the street where there’s this big Shell station and he walks past the one car that’s getting gas and he goes into the station.

“You don’t figure he works here, do you?” asks Marty.

“Not real likely.

“Let’s just see what happens here.”

Sure enough the guy talks to the man at the gas station counter for a few minutes and then he steps outside and uses the pay phone.

“I bet it’s a girlfriend,” says Marty. I don’t answer him right away, but I’m thinking. Then I say, “I bet not.”

A ratty black ten year old Lincoln Town Car with sparkling thousand dollar wheel covers pulls up at one of the pumps at the Shell station and the guy steps over to it and talks to the driver for a minute and then the guy pumps his gas for him and some money changes hands and the guy takes the money in to the man at the counter. This transaction takes a while and pretty soon the Lincoln driver gets out and goes into the station.

"What?" says Marty.

“Drugs, you dumb ass. This isn’t like when we buy grass from Melvin. This is hard stuff. Coke. Crack maybe. Heroin. Nasty.”

Just then the guy comes out of the station and the Lincoln driver comes out behind him and there’s a lot of shouting, but we can’t quite hear what’s being said because we’re still across the street. Then there’s some pushing and shoving and the guy pushes the Lincoln guy back against his car and then turns and trots behind the station where it’s real dark.

The Lincoln guy cusses and brushes some imaginary dirt from his clothes and yells after the guy but the guy is out of sight. The Lincoln guy gets behind the wheel and starts the car and guns the engine. The fan belt makes a whiny scream and then settles down. He guns the engine again.

“Let’s get out of here,” I say, and Marty says,”Yeah,” and he puts the car in Drive. We start to pull out from the curb but the Lincoln guy squeals his tires and almost cuts us off as he rockets around the Shell station parking lot and turns right into the back alley.

“This is something bad,” I say and Marty doesn’t say anything but he’s turning down the alley right after the Lincoln. “What the hell,” I holler. Marty doesn’t talk. He has jabbed at the gas and we’re bouncing over ruts in the alley and we can’t see a damn thing because he hasn’t turned our lights back on yet. Then ahead of us the alley widens and there’s our guy bent over by a fence and he’s got his sleeve rolled up and he all of a sudden has looked up to see the Lincoln charging down on him. He’s froze.

The Lincoln, throwing gravel turns left and our guy is centered in his lights. Marty guns it and comes up on the Lincoln real fast and whang, we slam him square in the side. He skids sideways and slams his other side up against a dumpster. The driver is pinned in…dumpster on one side and us up against his doors on the other.

Marty yells, “Get in,” and the guy runs over and gets in the back seat and slams the door and Marty finds Reverse and gets us out of that alley faster than he got us in.

Five minutes later and we’re going north on Gratiot Avenue and nobody’s said a word. I take a quick look over my shoulder and see the guy starting to roll up his sleeve and I see the blood on the inside of his elbow and I kind of shudder a little.

“Kind of messed you up a little, huh.”

He nods and says, “Yeah. But I dropped all my stuff before I could finish. Shit.”

We drive another mile.

Then the guy says, “Hey, I really hate to put you guys in this situation.”

“No, man,” says Marty. “No problem. I mean we happened to be there and we couldn’t just let that guy…”

“No,” says the guy, “I don’t mean that situation. I mean this one.” Marty can’t see the knife at the back of his neck so he just says, “Huh?” and I say, “Knife, Marty. Real easy, you better pull over right in this parking lot.” Marty can’t even see the knife in his rearview mirror, but now he can see the guy’s arm extended to just above his head rest and so he pulls over.

“Just give me all your money,” says the guy, and we give him all our money. He opens the rear door and gets out and walks behind an abandoned doughnut shop where he disappears in the shadows.
We sit for a minute and then pull back onto Gratiot, heading north.

I say, “We probably just should have stayed out of that alley.”

Marty says, “I didn’t even really think about it. I figured he needed help. It wasn’t my fault. Just my nature.” And I thought for a few minutes about that and then decided not to be too upset about the thirty dollars the guy stole from me. It wasn’t his fault either. Just his nature.

13 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 8:47:00 PM EST, Blogger SQT said...

Wow, this is really really good.

I'm not sure I'd be as equanimitable about being robbed as your characters, but it works. I really enjoyed this.

 
At Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 10:32:00 PM EST, Blogger gugon said...

Jon:

This is an excellent story - it has a feeling of authenticity that makes me think this might have actually happened to you.

I was hooked right from the opening - you just knew it was going somewhere unexpected.

Funny thing is, I can actually see myself doing this - following the guy to see where he goes (you won't catch me going into the alley though).

Fascinating - with a nice twist.

 
At Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 11:21:00 PM EST, Blogger Jon said...

Saddly, parts of it are true. It was a real job cutting 500 words out of it. If you would happen to want to see the whole thing, drop me a line at JonZ314@aol.com

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 at 12:06:00 AM EST, Blogger LoveRundle said...

You have a really smooth style. Easy to read and beautiful. I love how casual the friendship is that they would just hang out in a parking lot watching people get into cars. It reminds me of when I was young.

lol, Yeah the 1,000 word limit got me, however I'm so horrible with endings.

You did a great job on this.

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 at 12:28:00 AM EST, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I had to think about why Stewart said your story didn't quite fit the weird addiction theme. Then it dawned on me--if you were to have these two main characters betting on everything, all the way to the end of the story, then perhaps it would have fit the criteria. Example: "Hey Marty, I bet he's too chicken to slit your throat."

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 at 7:50:00 AM EST, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Damn, JR..I like that. I liked that A LOT.

This was a good edit. I don't think you were hurt by the cut.It still has a bus about to hit a pedestrian feel to it, and that keeps the reader engaged and at the same time appalled and questioning.

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 at 8:33:00 AM EST, Blogger Jon said...

JR, there was more of the gamble on everything theme in the orignal. Drugs are not "wierd" addictions and it was over a thousand words, so I asked Stu to link it with the caution that it didn't quite fit.

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 at 8:59:00 AM EST, Blogger Susan Miller said...

As always, a wonderful read and great job. I love the way you tease the reader along with such a laid back style. It truly is an art, Jon.

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 at 1:12:00 AM EST, Blogger mist1 said...

Those guys jacked me too.

 
At Sunday, December 24, 2006 at 9:45:00 AM EST, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

I love the opening hook and think the minimal style works! Merry Christmas Eve, Jon!

 
At Sunday, December 24, 2006 at 11:05:00 AM EST, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Alan,

A Merry Christmas. See you this coming Thursday..you...me..Jim. Looking forward to it.

Denny

 
At Sunday, December 31, 2006 at 12:37:00 PM EST, Blogger Susan Miller said...

You are missed, Jon.
Happy New Year!!!

 
At Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 6:36:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]jon-zech-short-fiction.blogspot.com is filled with quality info. Do you pay attention towards your health?. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Scientific Research displays that about 80% of all United States grownups are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home